Wednesday, August 8, 2012

...Taught Creative Writing at Work

Today's Creative Writing class was based on this book:

It has no plot.  If I was in a classroom setting, this would be a perfect example for the introduction of prepositions.  Simple drawings take us from the front door of a house, though fairy tales, into outer space and eventually back home again.  Each page uses a preposition (in front, behind, next to, among) to get us from one place to the next.  A classroom book where each student makes a page and it all gets put together would be in short order, but I don't have a classroom... What's a children's librarian to do??

Make each kid make their own book, get as far as they can in an hour and send them home to "finish it" (yeah, right!).  I don't have to evaluate their understanding and they were pretty wicked proud of what they accomplished.  You know you're running a good program when the get panicky when you announce 10 minutes left.

And now...

Student work!


























A grizzledragondino...
Be afraid.
 And there it is.  What a bunch of kids can accomplish in an hour.  It was fun for them, I think.  I was bored out of my mind... They worked so diligently, I didn't have anything to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment